Wednesday, January 20, 2010

To pierce or not to pierce?!...

Before I became a mommy, I always thought to myself when I had a little girl I would get her ears pierced when she was a baby.
That's what my mom did with me & I am so thankful! I'm such a wuss when it comes to things like that I don't know if I would have had the courage to do it on my own. And I really love that I have no horrific memory of the piercing.
Well now that I have a little one of my own, the decision has been a lot harder than I expected! I have been so torn!?!?!?!
I have read a few blog posts about this topic and let me tell you I had no idea how controversial this is to some people!... I honestly don't see any problem with it myself because just about every girl I know has their ears pierced (I know one person that doesn't & she really wants to get them done but is really scared).
The struggle I am dealing with isn't an issue of right or wrong... I just see my sweet baby girl as just that!... A BABY! The thought of putting holes in her sweet wittle-bittle ears and how painful that will be for her breaks my heart! I can barely stand watching her get her vaccines every few months!
I've done a little bit of reading on the suject & have heard from other moms that there is a window of time that is best to do it if your gonna do a piercing on a baby... And that time is now for us!! I've heard it's best to do it when they're first born or around 6 months because if you wait til their an older baby, they will be big enough to grab & possibly infect their ears.
I've also heard stories of moms waiting til their daughters were old enough to ask to get it done & they get the first ear pierced & are to scared to do the other side & end up walking around with one earring til they muster enough courage to go back. (they don't recommend getting both done at the same time anymore because there's a greater chance they'll be uneven)...
So what are yall's thoughts?! And how old were you guys when you got your ears pierced??

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. It id hard, but I would totally do it if I had a little girl!! It's easier when now when u can take care of them for her... i was 6 and got mine infected and had to do it again the next year.... infected because I wasn't good when they needed to be cleaned!! I say do it!!!
    Sarah Jacobi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne,

    Was searching for a GF's blog with similar name and came across yours. Started reading and saw your post " To pierce or not to Pierce." I had a similar experience with our 6 month old daughter.

    I'd say if your're thinking about it, then your mommy intuition is telling you earlier is better and I'd just go ahead and do it now.

    I had the urge like you did too so I asked our ped. She encouraged me to do it when mommy could care for them. She gave us some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced.

    She recommended Piercing Pagoda due to their experience with infant ear piercing and professional training. We were very pleased!

    Our ped also said they don't develop nerve fibers in their ears till 8 mos or so which is one of reasons it is best to do it as an infant. If they cry, she says it is because of being restrained or the noise of the piercing instrument near their ears, not any pain. When I heard this, I was relieved I wouldn't be causing her pain and went ahead.

    Write me an e-mail if youwould like our ped's suggestions and I'll send them to you.

    Amy
    amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete